Melanie Stopfer , Consulting Learning Specialist, Information Management, IBM
It’s getting close to one of my favorite weeks of each year – IDUG North America Technical Conference. Break out the eggnog and mistletoe. I feel like a child before Christmas that’s counting the days to open presents. This year there’s even a bigger present waiting because my 83-year old mother and younger sister live in the Phoenix area. IDUG DB2 2014 Technical Conference will be held at Sheraton Downtown Phoenix Hotel and Convention Center, May 12-16.
IDUG is the foremost independent, user-driven community that provides a direct channel to thousands of professional DB2 users across the globe. At the conference you gain access to influential decision makers. You can also raise your profile by gaining a deeper understanding of marketplace needs and the competitive environment. There are so many opportunities to engage with current and potential customers looking to learn about DB2 and related technologies to improve business performance.
Use the following tidbits to provide justification for your attendance. Sometimes planning your week can be a little time consuming and for the new attendee a little overwhelming so use the following information to experience a very successful week.
Monday, May 12 – IDUG One Day Seminars
Take a deep dive into specific aspects of DB2 with some of the most renowned speakers in our industry. You will not only have the opportunity to listen to these speakers but will have the opportunity to ask them specific questions as well. There is an additional registration fee for these seminars of $425 for paid full IDUG Conference delegates ($475 for unpaid) which includes lunch and a hard copy of the materials. Select from the following session topics:
- Advanced SQL Coding and Performance (Dan Luksetich)
- DB2 10 for z/OS System Admin Crammer class for Certification Exam 617 (Judy Nall)
- DB2 10.1 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration Certification Exam (Exam 611) Preparation (Roger Sanders)
- DB2 11 for z/OS Database Administration Certification Crammer Course (Susan Lawson)
- DB2 LUW Problem Determination and Troubleshooting Workshop (Pavel Sustr and Samir Kapoor)
- DB2 V10+ for LUW Top Gun Performance Workshop (Martin Hubel and Scott Hayes)
- The BEST of the BEST of the THINGS I WISH I”D TOLD YOU 8 YEARS AGO (Bonnie Baker)
Tuesday, May 13 – Keynote Speaker
Donald Feinberg, vice president and distinguished analyst in Gartner Intelligence Information Management group, is responsible for Gartner’s research on database management systems and data warehousing infrastructure and Big Data. I can’t wait to hear his insights.
Tuesday, May 13 through Friday, May 16 – Attend your selected technical sessions Build your personalized conference agenda using IDUG’s My Conference feature . Customize your week at IDUG with technical sessions, technical networking sessions and social networking opportunities. The My Conference feature also allows you to evaluate sessions and the overall conference. You can download your custom agenda or sync with your calendar (Google Calendar, Outlook 2010, etc.) and have the information at their fingertips. Check out the agenda by technical track, time, or title. Just click on the title to get speaker bio, session abstract, and session objectives. Don’t forget about the new track Big Data and Analytics. You can choose technical sessions from the following tracks:
- Ala Carte
- Big Data and Analytics
- DB2 for Developers
- DB2 for LUW – I
- DB2 for LUW – II
- DB2 for z/OS – I
- DB2 for z/OS – II
Consider selecting my two presentations:
- Wed May 14, 8:00 AM, Paradise Valley – C05 Best Practices Upgrade to DB2 10.5 with BLU Acceleration
- Thu May 15, 1:00 PM, Camelback – D11 Using Row and Column Access Controls (RCAC) with DB2 LUW
Wednesday, May 14, 3:30-4:45 – Special Interest Groups (SIGS)
Get face-to-face with developers and technical experts and discuss what’s hot. Where does your special interest lie? Wish I could clone myself and attend more than one SIG. Walid Rjaibi, IBM’s Chief Security Architect for Information Management, Rebecca Bond, R Bond Consulting, Inc., and I will co-chair SIG1F – Security and Data Masking.
- SIG1A – DB2 Memory Usage, Futures and Features
- SIG1B – Fun with SQL
- SIG1C – Maintaining Big Data
- SIG1D – DB2 BLU Acceleration
- SIG1E – DB2 Compression – What are the options? What are the license implications?
- SIG1F – Security and Data Masking
- SIG1G – DB2 in the Cloud (SIGS)
Thursday, May 15, 7:30-8:30 AM – Call for Volunteers Breakfast
IDUG relies on its members to leverage the technical and business acumen of DB2 professionals. It is because of dedicated members that IDUG exists. To continue to provide the best networking and education to IDUG members worldwide, IDUG is always looking for active volunteers. Take part! Get involved! Help build IDUG’s future.
Thursday, May 15, 12:00-1:00 PM – Speaker Feedback Lunch
A great opportunity for speakers to discuss their experiences with the IDUG NA conference team. Meet for lunch in Encanto A and provide valuable feedback to planning committee to improve the process for next year.
Thursday, May 15, 4:45-6:00 PM – Mini-Panels
You can submit your questions early at the registration help desk. Always a lively Q&A with lots of technical answers and often hints of what is coming in the future.
- SIG2A – z/OS Mini Panel
- SIG2C – LUW Mini Panel (SIGS)
Thursday, May 15, 6:30 PM – DINE AROUND EVENT
FILL IN THE BLANK: ”10 DBAs walk into a restaurant and ____________.”
Seriously, the night is your oyster. What a great opportunity to make new friends and renew previous relationships. Every year, I have such a great time meeting new people and learning about them. Don’t miss this event. Sign up early with your favorite speaker’s restaurant since the limited number of spots go quickly. Each diner receives a separate check for their charges. Ember Crooks, IBM Champion and db2commerce.com blogger, and I are the speakers assigned to dine at Pizzeria Bianco. Who wants to join us for Italian?
Friday, May 16, 8:00 AM to 2 PM – Complimentary Technical Workshops
Wowza – who doesn’t love a free workshop? What a great opportunity to build your technical skills! You register for the workshops when completing your conference registration.
- DB2 BLU Acceleration for the Cloud Workshop – Learn about the exciting new enhancements with DB2 BLU, how they relate to Cloud implementations and how they can provide data insights to your organization fast and easily.
- DB2 11 Migration Planning Workshop – DB2 11 gives back with more out of the box performance improvements, greater migration flexibility, many optimization’s, administration, and application features. Leave the session with materials that you can use to start your installation/migration immediately, or in the future.
FREE IBM CERTIFICATION EXAMS
All DB2 Tech Conference attendees can take a FREE IBM CERTIFICATION EXAM! Each attendee may take one exam for free and if they pass they are eligible for a second free exam. Additional exams will be offered at the low discounted price of $25. Prepare by attending one of the pre-certification education seminars on Monday listed above. The closing time listed is the last seating for the day. Go early in the week because time slots fill up towards end of the week. Exams will be administered:
- Tuesday, May 13: 10:00 – 17:00
- Wednesday, May 14: 9:00 – 16:00
- Thursday, May 15: 8:00 – 17:00
- Friday, May 16: 8:00 – 12:00
Products and Services Expo
Walk the exhibit hall and take advantage of the excellent opportunity to learn more about the latest DB2 technologies. While you pick up some great souvenirs, absorb the technical content you need to be successful. Several vendors will be handing out invitations to parties where you can network the nights away. The expo is open:
- Tuesday, May 13, 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- Wednesday, May 14, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm, 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
- Thursday, May 15, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
First Time Attendees and IDUG Mentors Discount
Discount! Did someone mention $$$SAVINGS$$$? The IDUG Mentor program recognizes and helps loyal IDUG attendees, IBM Champions and RUG Leaders share their DB2 knowledge with first time attendees. If you fall into one of these categories you are eligible to apply for a coupon worth 80% off the registration rate for a first time attendee. First time attendees can take advantage of this offer by reaching out to a co-worker that falls into one of these categories. To apply or for more information about the IDUG Mentor Program visit the IDUG Mentor webpage:
Justification for Attending IDUG Conference
Go to the IDUG website and download the Justification Letter and How to Justify list.
- Remember to register for a complimentary technical workshop when completing your conference registration.
- Build your agenda before arriving so that you don’t overlook your favorite speaker or topic. There is so much happening during the week that you will want to take advantage of every opportunity.
- IDUG NA Conference home website
- Build time in your agenda to take at least one complimentary certification exam. All results are private unless you decide to share the news.
- Make “lunch dates” with fellow attendees or speakers. No one likes to eat alone. Your invitation will make someone’s day.
- Bring a light jacket, sweater or wrap. Convention Centers are really meat lockers in disguise.
- Sign up to moderate at least one session. Besides the thread chair becoming your new friend, you get to meet the speaker, and become involved with a great organization. What a great and easy way to get involved!
- Pack extra business cards.
- Use the #idug hashtag in your Tweets.
- On Friday technical sessions end at 11:45 AM and complimentary technical workshops end at 2:00 PM.
If you are interested in networking opportunities with fellow users, product developers and solution providers, user-driven product training and quality continuing education, IDUG DB2 Technical Conference is for you!
Watch out Santa because I’m opening my presents early – IDUG is coming to Phoenix. See you there.
Melanie Stopfer is a Consulting Learning Specialist and Developer for IBM Software Group. She is recognized worldwide as an advanced database specialist. As a Certified DB2 LUW 10.5 Technical Expert and Learning Facilitation Specialist, she has provided in-depth technical support to IM customers specializing recovery, performance and database upgrade and migration best practices since 1988. In 2009, Melanie was the first DB2 LUW speaker to be inducted into the IDUG Speaker Hall of Fame and was again selected Best Overall Speaker at IDUG EMEA 2011 and 2012 and IDUG NA 2012. In 2013, IOD rated her presentations in top two for customer satisfaction.
Connect with Melanie on :