IBM DB2 sessions at IBM Insight at World of Watson conference
September 30, 2016 Leave a comment
by Sajan Kuttappa, Marketing Manager- IBM Analytics Platform
As organizations develop next-generation applications for the digital era, many are using cognitive computing ushered in by IBM Watson technology. To make the most of these next-generation applications, you need a next-generation database that must handle a massive volume of data while delivering high performance to support real-time analytics. At the same time, it must provide data availability for demanding applications, scalability for growth and flexibility for responding to changes
IBM DB2 enables you to meet these challenges by providing enterprise-class scalability while also leveraging adaptive in-memory BLU Acceleration technology to support the analytics needs of your business. DB2 also handles structured and semi-structured data from a variety of sources to provide deep insight. With the ability to support thousands of terabytes, you can use historic and current data to identify trends and make sound decisions. The new release DB2 11.1 that was announced earlier this year comes packed with many enhancements for BLU, OLTP, PureScale, security, SQL, and more!
Whether you are interested in an overview of the improvements available with the new release or an in-depth understanding of the new enhancements, IBM World of Watson is the place to be. The IBM Insight conference is now part of IBM World of Watson 2016 on October 24-27 and continues to be the premiere industry event for data and analytics professionals, delivering unmatched value and exciting onsite opportunities to connect with peers, hear from thought leaders, experience engaging content, and receive training and certification. This article will highlight the key DB2 sessions at the IBM World of Watson conference.
We will start with Session #3483 by Matt Huras, IBM DB2 Architect who will provide a technical overview of the new release and the value the new features provide for your installations. We also have the following sessions that provide deeper coverage for the new enhancements available with the new release
- DB2 11.1 includes significant enhancements in the area of availability — particularly around the pureScale feature. You can attend the Session #1433 – “The Latest and Greatest on Availability and pureScale in DB2 11.1” to learn about these enhancements, including simplification of deployment, new operating system and virtualization options, HADR updates, and improvements in the areas of management and multitenancy.
- DB2 11.1 packs several enhancements to protect your data whether they are on-premises or on the cloud. Do look out for Session #1038 – “DB2 Security: From the Data Center to the Cloud” for an overview of the various security mechanisms that are available with the latest version of DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows, as well as introduce you to several things that must be taken into consideration if you plan on moving your DB2 database environment from the data center to the cloud.
- There is a lot of talk about in-memory computing and columnar multi-partitioned databases to improve analytic query performance. DB2 1 brings MPP scale to BLU! If you need a detailed step-by-step approach to implement the newest version of DB2, come learn about often overlooked but very important best practices to understand before and after upgrading by attending the Session #1290– “Upgrading to DB2 with the Latest Version of BLU Acceleration”
- DB2 11.1 is the foundation for hybrid cloud database deployments. In addition to being available to install on cloud-based infrastructure it is also the foundation of DB2 on Cloud and dashDB cloud data service offerings. Attend the Session #1444 – “Hybrid Cloud Data Management with DB2 and dashDB” to learn more about these different options and when you’d want to choose one over another.
- If you are deploying DB2 for SAP applications, we have lined up Session #2629 by SAP and IBM experts – “IBM DB2 on SAP – V11.1 Update and Recent Developments”. In this session, we will give an overview of recent SAP on DB2 extensions and which DB2 V11.1 features are most important for SAP applications. One of our clients – BCBS of TN will also share their experiences with DB2 V11.1 around analytics and the benefits that they’ve seen.
Our clients Nordea Group and Argonne National Laboratory will also share their experience with deploying IBM Data Server Manager. The hands–on-labs HOL 1766B – “DB2 High Availability and Disaster Recovery with Single or Multiple Standby Databases” allows you to configure and manage a production database with single or multiple standby databases using DB2 HA/DR facilities.
If you are a new user of DB2, you can also read this guide to the introductory DB2 sessions . Whether you are determining your next move or optimizing your existing investments in data and analytics capabilities, the IBM World of Watson 2016 conference is the place for you. This is your opportunity to get the training, answers, certifications and insights you need to be at the top of your game . If you have not yet registered for the conference, we suggest you visit this link and register yourself – bit.ly/WorldofWatson